Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Sep 2011 20:10:06 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy Now, Boat Soon? (Friday)
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

all very true...... and one does not have to go out into the big bad ocean that much to have a great time on a good small , even modest boat.

overall ...I'd say the boats are better then many of the people operating them. There have been many cases of people freaking out in a storm .. having a hard time with the boat .. they get rescued.. a few weeks later the boat shows up somewhere with not much damage at all.

and.....one of the very most fascinating parts about it for me is exactly 'the challenge.'.. you can't just pull over and get out if things get challenging.

there is no choice other than.. one 'must' either sail it, motor it, or row it, or anchor it, or lie ahull, or whatever ... to keep it working safely. I have many books on it ..one is Storm Sailing .. A boat properly operated and fitted out on the ocean .. can be just fine ..to the point of........if a hurricane is going to hit ...it's safer to be out there sometimes than it is to be in a marina. For sure .. many people think it's going to be like driving a car ...like 'sorta automatic and easy' .. and being on the ocean .. you need everything going for you that you can get going .. entire several hundred feet long steel ships have just disappeared. you gotta know what you are doing. and it's still a bit of an odds game out in the ocean .. there are monster rogue waves out of nowhere.. whales have even attacked and sunk sailboats.

when I was sea kayaking ....something made am impression on me.. they said paddle near the shore ..don't go 'out there' unless it's an intentional crossing .. which is why I say .. one can have a find sailboat life and experience without going out in the big bad ocean .. there's lots of semi-inland waters.. the entire Inside Passage in Western Canada for example.. still with hazards for sure .. and not that crazy either. Definitely gotta be smart about it .. and I find that endlessly fascinating. You gotta do the right thing ... good boats are amazingly capable too. Ferro Cement .....people thought that was a cheap way to a world cruiser for a while... a hippie era thing almost .. I haven't heard much about cement boats for a while. Not the best material generally. Boats are endlessly fascinating. the record small size of sailboat for an Atlantic crossing is 6 feet. pretty extreme. Not recommended that's for sure !

I'd say real smarts can outdo cubic money in sailing any time. Easily. Being rich is almost a liability.

Slocum's boat Spray could sail by itself for weeks at a time ..slowly ...but by itself. He's considered the first Circumnavigator. I'd stay in safer closer-to home-waters myself. The sheer independence .. the 'little world' of your own cozy boat .. that you master.........that travels to exotic places for very low cost .. that's the attraction. It doesn't have to be 50 feet long going to Tahiti ..that's expensive. And probably not as much fun as your own self-contained 'westy like' medium size boat. I just like doing a lot with a little.. cubic money is kinda obscene to me.. If ever there was a place where sheer smarts and creativity can bring big rewards for modest cost.. it would be in modest to medium size sailboating . Smaller boats can do things and go places bigger boats never could...and at 1/100th the cost too. Find out the cost for one winch on a mega yacht .. which could be many thousands of dollars.. that's your budget target for your entire boat and fitting it out.

and as Don said...they're just sitting around needing new owners. Quite often. There are many, many forlorn sailboats needing a new owner badly. And bigger is not necessarily better at all. of course if you want 5 people on it , you want a good size boat for sure.. but for one or two people... 20 feet something is plenty. and we haven't even mentioned multi-hulls. That is yet another part of the sailing world. There are even fast sailing, trailerable Trimarans with folding ammas.. and they're self-righting too. Too many moving parts though ..and they're not cheap.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 6:58 PM Subject: Re: Westy Now, Boat Soon? (Friday)