Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Sep 2011 20:15:16 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Charging circuit connection - battery under back bench in
              Westy?
Comments: To: Steve Williams <steve@WILLIAMSITCONSULTING.COM>

Yes, it is common to use the starter post connection for charging a battery installed in the back. I've done some that way, as well as from the alternator directly. Put the battery relay in the engine compartment.

It is important to upgrade the wire from the alternator to the starter, as you have already done. More so in earlier years than yours but it is an improvement even without an aux battery.

The run of #8 to power the new fuse panel should be fine unless you plan to connect a substantial inverter to the new panel. A separate power feed to the inverter may be preferable.

Mark

Steve Williams wrote: > Hi, > > I want to install a deep cycle battery under the back bench in my 1991 > Westy. > > I was thinking that it would be much easier to connect directly into the > engine compartment for the "charging" circuit. > > I am upgrading the wire from the alternator to the starter (as well as > pro-actively putting in a new alternator). > > Would it make sense to connect directly to the alternator, or can I just > connect onto starter (solenoid)? Or is this a crazy idea? > > > Further information to ward off questions... ;-) > > The "charging" circuit will be run through a Go-Westy "isolating relay" > so that it will be disconnected from the starting battery if the engine > is not running. > > I'm putting in 12v sockets in the back area directly from this battery, > though yes, I'm still going to have to snake 2 wires up to the front, > one for the relay energizing current, and one to plug into the fuse > panel. I'll make this a heavier gauge wire. > > A bit of research led to: > http://www.windsun.com/Hardware/Wire_Table.htm > > (look down for the 12 VDC section) which leads me to think I'll run #8 > wire (25-30 amps) to the front fuse panel from the battery in the back > to power all the internal stuff. > > And yes, I'm cleaning all the grounds that I can find at the same time! > > Thanks, > Steve W. >