Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Sep 2011 12:08:30 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Convert '85 Westy to trailer?
Comments: To: Graham Janson <graham.janson@GMAIL.COM>

Sounds crazy to me.. particularly with the long trailer axle and wheels outside the body .. and you have a plan for a long enough and strong enough tongue ? Seems like an abomination to me. and... if you leave it full length .....there's the entire front seating area and dash with very little function.. I 'don't get it.'

Storage is not THAT bad.. sure ......it's not that good either ..but storing it properly is not that bad an option.

if I just 'had' to take it with me somewhere.. I 'might' consider towing it on all four wheels.. though ............that can be dicey , it's not at all like towing a two wheel trailer with a tongue .. but it wouldn't ruin and hack up a decent 85 Westy .

I don't know how good your 85 Westy is .. and...........that is the first year of vanagon body that's quite good ..due to the improved sliding door. there are a lot of good things about that year ...last year of the better round headlights for example... and being a Westy .. people *always* want those !

I just wouldn't hack it up or do anything sacrilegious with it .. If it's all smashed and rusted ..ok sure .. but if it's decent.. it is COLLECTIBLE even ... I would only store it, or ship it somewhere, or maybe tow it on all four wheels...though as I said ..that can be rather dicey, or sell 'er and buy another one later .. ( and often ..when you own and love a vehicle for a while.. then sell it and get another one ..the second one somehow is just 'not the same' as that first love. Had that happen a number of times. )

Anything but ruin a there-are-only-so-many left water-cooled Westy.

these are precious vehicles. Not replaceable even. And ............not that hard to care for really, not if doing a lot of the work yourself. Heck, it's FUN to take care of things, especially Westy's !! Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Janson" <graham.janson@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 11:35 AM Subject: Convert '85 Westy to trailer?