Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Sep 2011 08:41:19 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 91 Westfalia ground points, battery charging amps
Comments: To: Steve Williams <steve@WILLIAMSITCONSULTING.COM>

Battery charging is a bit of a complex process and it is not linear. As the alternator is somewhat a constant voltage source charging current varies with the voltage, charge acceptance of the battery, and the resistance of the charging circuit. The most current will be drawn during the "bulk" phase which is up to about 80%. The last 10-20% take a long time especially without the ability to raise the voltage. A proper charge also includes the off gassing stage which doesn't really happen at 13.8 volts.

Again there are variable but the group 41 battery will take somewhere around 20 amps during the bulk stage. A major limitation is the undersized wiring from the alternator. This should be improved.

Dennis