Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:16:16 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tranny Whinning in 84 Westy?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

I get called now and then by someone with a car or van with a problem.. and they're asking me if I think they can drive it safely, or without serious or more damage.

Of course that's a hard call to make sometimes.. I can tell you this though ... I am often just appalled at how little people recognize really bad things that are going on.

If they said ........'it makes a tiny noise in 3rd gear, and I just need to get 250 miles home' .. I'd probably say if they take it easy, they'll be all right.

and what 'tiny noise' to them is might to me be 'just awful.' I really do see people driving vanagons , particularly diesel ones ( not that that applies to the poster here ) with Just Awful things going on ..and they have 'no idea.'

there is also the factor of ...... The van is safe at home now. If you want to get an objective look at something like this, pretend it's an aircraft. It is actually illegal to embark on a flight with a known defect in an aircraft. They are that clear about it. ( depends on what system of course ....but for sure, a known engine or transmission problem ...any sane person stays on the ground until it's fixed ) .

and there is risk for you with this trip .. on the lower end there's damaging the transmission so that it's not even rebuildable. Dennis mentioned seizing up .. unlikely, but that could kill people.

plus ..you're asking opinions when only YOU really have an idea how bad it is. If you want support.. I suggest you make your decision yourself ..then say what that is .. and everyone can say how dumb/reasonable they think that is !

obviously, the safe conservative thing to do is not go on the trip. In extreme mountaineering and in flying... it is always a matter of weighing risk. right now it's like you're asking ...... we're at 7,000 meters in the Himalayas ....were about 99 % exhausted and food and fuel are very low, and it's 12 hours more climb to the summit ....and weather is forecast to move in. Do you think we can make the summit and survive and return alive with all toes and fingers intact ?

I exaggerate, sure, and of course..no one can make that call except you !

And if you waste a transmission .. that's kinda sad, and will cost you more .. but if something worse happens, you get stuck somewhere very inconveniently, or the unlikely happens and someone gets hurt ...I'm sure you follow my drift. If there is a woman going on the trip ..ask her. Likely she'll not want to take a chance on being very inconvenienced, or possibly even endangered some. Last line ........there are professional mountaineers that have turned back 400 meters from a 8,000 meter summit, and they were smart, and proud, to have made that more conservative safer decision.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Haynes" <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:40 AM Subject: Re: Tranny Whinning in 84 Westy?