Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Sep 2011 22:50:28 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85-H20 loss of coolant mystery
Comments: To: Travis Newhouse <travisnewhouse@GMAIL.COM>

It does sound like exhaust gases getting into the coolant to me.. usually at the heads/head gaskets. it's even semi -common.

those bubbles going into the pressure bottle... shouldn't ever be any there once it's been running and is well filled with coolant.

one test is to have the air space at the top of the coolant pressure bottle sniffed with a smog tester probe.. if there's any HC, there's your problem. There's also a 'block tester' system you can buy a kit for .. the coolant changes color if exhaust gases are present in the coolant.

Waterboxer head gaskets should be done about every 80,000 miles/ 8 years or so. Due to corrosion that can happen to the cylinder head studs.. I don't think it's even smart to leave the heads untouched for years and years. Same for corrosion that can happen to the bottom of the cylinder heads.. and waterboxer heads are not like normal cylinder heads where you can just get the bottom resurfaced. ( it's possible...but not as easily as normal heads are resurfaced . )

Sounds like you should do the heads..or at least do one side and see what you learn doing that. The little green o-rings that keep coolant away from the metal combustion sealing rings at the top of the barrels........you'll find those brittle and hard and doing nothing.

nice to see your post ! Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Travis Newhouse" <travisnewhouse@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:23 PM Subject: 85-H20 loss of coolant mystery