Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:37:22 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85-H20 loss of coolant mystery
Comments: To: Travis Newhouse <travisnewhouse@gmail.com>

Do this at-home test for a head gasket leak (remember that there are two head gaskets for each cylinder/set on the vanagon, and inner (compression) gasket and an outer (water) gasket. It is the inner one that can cause exhaust gases to drive water from your system. To test for compression leaks, let the engine sit overnight. Start it the next morning and run it for 30 seconds, which is long enough to let pressure through from the cylinders to the water, but not long enough to cause pressure from the heat of running.

Remove the pressure cap. If you hear a burp, you have a leak in the inner head gasket.

If you have water on the driveway under the heads, you have a leaking outer gasket.

Either one could be your problem with coolant loss. Or, as mentioned, it could be the radiator.

Here's what it was for me a few years ago (this was on a diesel, but the same principle applies): The car would act normally, except for the type of conditions you describe. Pulling a hill, even a short one, could cause the temps to rise. I frequently had to add coolant, and couldn't figure out where it was going. Then I went on an out of town trip with freeway driving. I was kayaking and lost my glasses in the river. On the way home, the temp needle rose and the light started flashing. I had water on board in the westy tank, so refilling on the road was no problem but over the next hundred miles or so this event happened more and more frequently. Since I didn't have my glasses, I had to reach into an emergency box for a magnifying glass. I used it to examine the engine compartment. The strength of the glass allowed me to see a tiny stream from the end of a hose that I was never able to see before. It was so small that it was evaporating on the engine before ever hitting the ground, so I never saw a puddle. I waited for the engine to cool and cut off the end of the hose, tightened the clamp and got home just fine.

Jim