Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:49:30 -0600
From:         Tom Buese <tombuese@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tranny Whinning in 84 Westy?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

On Sep 15, 2011, at 5:23 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote:

> 'noisy in gear' I call that. > > if it makes a whining sound in gear ........ > not a lot you can do. > make sure tranny oil is full enough. > change it , putting in new thicker gear oil, possibly with a trans oil treatment..

Hmmm, had Royal Purple gear oil put in a year ago.

> or put in another trans, > or rebuild yours. > > here's one simple test.. > idling in neutral ... > push clutch in ........ > then let clutch out .. > if it's quiet with clutch in, and noisy with clutch pedal up .. > you are hearing the rumbling of the input shaft bearings. > ( do not confuse this with 'throw out bearing noise' ........which is the opposite, noisy with pedal held down, quiet with pedal up.)

ok, did that & no noise either in or out until I accelerate into 2nd-4th gear, then noise while clutch is up, none when in.

> > also ...check your magnetic drain plug for how much metal is on it. > Often they have an almost dime size round ball of fine metal particles on them. > some is normal.. > bigger pieces of pieces of gear tooth is not normal of course. > Use the filler plug or another drain plug to quickly pop in when you pull the drain plug for inspection of the magnet on it ..so you don't have to drain the whole trans of oil.

Hmmm, have appointment on Monday to assess, but ordered new clutch kit w/ TO bearing etc., cross shaft, in case needed-maybe new rebuilt tranny w/ LSD is also on the agenda?

YMMV,

Mr. BZ-5 speed while I have the credit card out? > > if getting it rebuilt.. > you want to do that before it gets really bad. > One transaxle shop I know of .. > they take a quick look at the ring and pinion .. > if it's no good...the whole trans is not a useable core, just like that. > > good luck ! > Scott > www.turbovans.com > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Buese" <tombuese@COMCAST.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:35 AM > Subject: Tranny Whinning in 84 Westy? > > > Dear fellow vanagonuts, > > My 84 w/ original 1.9 & tranny w/ 145k miles on it, appears to have developed a whinning sound when the clutch is not depressed, & I am accelerating. Depress the clutch & the sound goes away. You might remember that recently I had a miracle where 1 day the van would not shift into any gear unless the ignition was off, & I topped off the brake/clutch fluid, which was only a tad low from full, but it didn't get better,until the miracle, & it either self bled or fixed itself. > Now many weeks later, it still shifts nicely, runs like a champ, but that whinning sound has moi concerned. Tranny going bad, clutch needing replacement, changed to Royal Purple Tranny fluid a year ago, needing to be topped off? > > Your humble attention to my issue would be appreciated, especially before I attempt to drive 600 miles RT next weekend. > > YMMV, > > Mr. BZ-the only whinning I want to hear is my own=