Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Sep 2011 08:57:24 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Drivetrain Diagnosis - Update
Comments: To: Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>

On 2011-09-16, at 8:25 AM, Anthony Egeln wrote:

> Looks like the driveline u-joints are rusted and frozen up...... > > The van runs great with the driveline removed. > > We have VW original u-joints on order, but I have two questions for the gurus on the list: > > 1 - Does it hurt anything to run the van for an extended period of time with the driveline removed? At least other than not having the 4WD?

No, no prob.

> > 2- Would it be better to replace then entire driveline rather than just the u-joints? There isn't a whole lot of price difference when our vendors sell "updated" drivelines for about $525. Which vendor drivelines do the gurus like? >

There is a chance that the ears of the stock propshaft - where our new u joints will fit in - are "stretched" or distorted so that the new u-joints will not make a good tight fit. There is also the chance that the rubber guibo on the trans end of shaft is in need of replacement. And the internal bushings on that end of the propshaft may be worn.

All of that plus re-balancing makes buying a new shaft seem sensible. I have heard good things about Burley's propshaft.

alistair