Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Sep 2011 23:01:45 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: NVC-Friday-Scanning and compression software Advice?
Comments: To: Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM>

Try what Jeff said --

Or try this - something I do all the time with friends from as far away as Australia and Brazil.

Install Filezilla Server (Filezilla.com) - the free file-server software - on your computer, set up an account and account folder for each of your customer/clients, and allow them to download direct from their account folder on your computer. When I have something for them - I send them an email notifying them there a new file in their account, and they then log onto the file-server - enter their UserID and Password, and then download the file. File size doesn't matter. 50 mb would be fairly fast - 4.5 gigs might take a bit longer - but it's doable. Easy as falling off a greased log.

This is an FTP process and your customer/client will need some kind of FTP software - Filezilla Client is the free FTP companion to Filezilla Server. Both programs work really well.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 9/16/2011 6:18 PM, Michael Sullivan wrote: > I scan alot of documents through my Lexmark scanner using their software to > create PDF docs and store them, but they are sometime quite large(20-40MB). > Besides WinZip...does anyone have any ideas how I can scan these and > compress them for emailing? I tried to email a 28MB file to a Gmail account > and was denied due to size. I work remotely from home and sometime > outsource some of this work and emailing and saving these files in a smaller > format would help alot, especially during archiving to DVD, etc. I have > tried Irfanview software per a suggestion form another listmember, but file > size is still too large. Thanks for any recommendations. > P.S. I recently tried Adobe Online but have not worked out the quirks, so > not sure it will work. > Running Windows 7 Home 64-bit. > Happy trails. > Michael in San Antonio > 91GL Weekender AT 2.1L 'Gringo' > >