Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Sep 2011 07:59:09 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Interesting Experience on eBay NVC Friday Stuff

> A few days later Paypal deducts the money from my > account and refunds it to this scumbag! And he still has > the item! He never sent it back. The buyer keeps the > item and gets a full refund. What a deal-for him!!

That is not entirely uncommon. I have had the exact same thing happen once or twice with credit card purchases, Paypal, and Amazon. In one case a customer got to keep a $200 set of custom made seat covers for FREE because he didn't care for the color that he himself had chosen from a color swatch. But the most absurd case was with Amazon, where the outsourced Amazon phone rep gave a customer a refund by mistake AND let him keep my property, and then refused to correct their error The buyer wasn't even claiming the item was defective, he just didn't care for it and called Amazon to ask what the return policy was (not realizing he was supposed to contact the seller directly). The Amazon phone rep misunderstood and wrote the item up as "defective or misrepresented" instead. He then told the buyer he could KEEP the merchandise AND get his money back under the Amazon "A-Z Guarantee" (similar to Ebay's "Buyer Protection"). Which would have been true had the product actually been misrepresented, but nobody had ever claimed it was (not even the buyer). I tried to appeal to Amazon - I even had an email from the buyer himself explaining the mistake - but nobody would listen. It was like dealing with government beauracracy. I was not permitted to actually communicate with anyone at Amazon who had decision making authority, but rather had to pass messages through several layers of beauracracy ... only to get back canned responses that indicated that nobody had actually read the documentation. Eventually Amazon told me that their decision was final since "the item was misreperesented" (even though nobody had ever said that to begin with) and that they were closing the case and considering it "resolved." Fortunately the buyer returned the item of his own volition a month or two later (albeit slightly used). But had he chosen not to, I would have had absolutely no recourse. Even as it stood I wasted hours of time. Needless to say I learned my lesson with Amazon.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT