Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:00:03 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Headlight upgrade issue
Comments: To: Frank Lee <techedteacher@gmail.com>

Well, then I need it too as I cannot tell you the difference between the two brands. Both use identical bulbs, I know that, and both have excellent reputations and are probably close enough in output and dispersion that there is no need to think about it. Others may feel differently. The upgrade is something that all vanagon owners should do. it gives you a very clear swath of bright light that tips up on the right so you can see road signs, approaching animals, etc.

If you have round headlights, you already have the best lights that ever came on a vanagon. This upgrade just makes them better.

The set will come with bulbs that the vanagon stock wiring will tolerate. You can go online and find H4 bulbs (they are identical to the 9003 and HB@bulbs you will encounter) in a variety of wattages. I don't know if there is any legal limit to the wattage, but I suspect there is. If you go above the lower wattages, you can damage your wiring. You should really use a relay with any wattage bulb in the system.

I have no idea bout the geomety of the respective lamps, I suspect each keeps that as proprietary as possible.

Bulb tech is pretty much the same, I dont know if you get any better performance among the brands.

It's not only arc wear that would kill the switch, it's just plainly too puny for the current of headlights.

Jim