Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Sep 2011 07:27:56 -0700
From:         Vanagon <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vitrifrigo/Truck Fridge power usage
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Right, but here's my question.

If low current setting + longer runtime = high current setting + shorter runtime . . . in other words, if there is no overall effect on longterm power consumption . . . then why does Vitrifrigo even bother giving the option of three different levels of current consumption?

One thought is that the Marketing department insisted on being able to claim low current operation. I have measured the current in the medium and low settings and neither draw as little current as the advertising claims, even the low setting.

But low consumption might be a major selling point in the truck fridge market, so maybe Vitrifrigo feels pressure to 1. Make a claim they cannot achieve, 2. If a customer says, "Hey, wait a minute! This thing draws more than you say," they can suggest he set it to the low current mode (which still draws more than claimed in the advertising bumf), and 3. Dodge any further questions, as they have with my inquiries.

So why do they ship it set to the medium setting, why not to the low?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a couple guesses (puts on arborist's climbing gear):

First, the longer run time necessitated by the low setting might mean that the compressor would never shut off in very hot conditions. Two weeks ago we were camped in 100F + weather and during the day, I'd say the duty cycle of the thing was 90% on, 10% off. If it was inside a closed vehicle sitting under the sun in someplace horrible like, say, Yuma, temps could go as high as 130F (I've measured them) and the thing would never shut off, not having enough current to move the heat out of the cabinet.

Second, maybe there is an overall efficiency gain at the higher currents. The relationship might not be as simple as low current setting + longer runtime = high current setting + shorter runtime.

Only testing could answer this latter supposition. Or getting some straight poop from the manufacturer. Anyone here know someone in Italy who could call them and pry some useful information outta dem guys?

Sent from my smartphone with tiny screen & even tinier keypad.