Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Sep 2011 07:37:04 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: proper battery fit
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

The battery box is the same on all vans but most campers have an added insert riveted in place to allow a sealed lid to screw down to the insert. The insert goes around the perimeter of the opening, making the opening smaller. Passenger vans do not have sealed boxes and don't have the insert installed. On passenger models the lid is hinged on the back edge and the compartment is open to the front under the seat. The battery is much easier to take in and out on passenger models.

We have at times debated the merits of the sealed lid battery box found on most campers. This was done in conjunction with an added vent tube run to the wheel well to allow battery gases to vent outside. IMHO this is not a true safety issue in Vanagons but rather a requirement for compliance with an RV Industry rating standard. RVs have much larger batteries and often have on-board charging systems that charge while the vehicle is parked and plugged in. The gases from this charging can build up and present a hazard in confined spaces. Our smaller batteries don't out-gas as much and since ours charge while we drive there is sufficient air movement in the vehicle that the gas dissipates quickly. Since most vans have unsealed boxes, even vans that came stock with batteries under both front seats, any danger from the battery gases can't be much IMHO.

Mark

Dave Mcneely wrote: > So, I just called the vendor (Pep Boys) and asked if I could return the battery, exchange it for a 42, despite maybe a scratch or two from fitting it into the box repeatedly, trying to get it to fit. Answer was, "sure, we will exchange it." You're saying that would not make it any easier to get the clamp in place? If true, then I would be giving up amps without any useability gain. I am really uncomfortable not having a battery locked down in case of an accident. Others seem fine with that, but somehow, I imagine a battery getting loose and wreaking havoc. Maybe I am just overly concerned. > > Is the battery box bigger on non-campers? Otherwise, why would it be just the campers where it is hard to get the clamp in place? > > mcneely >