Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Sep 2011 08:26:05 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Can Someone Please Shed Some Light....
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net>

I've been lucky in finding one or two at the wreckers, but my hoard has run out now. I did futz around with jamming a led and a resistor in the spot, but it really was a hack job.

I hate pulling the heater control face off. It's a crap shoot as to whether I will break anything. A few things learned the hard way:

- bracing your hand when pulling off the heater plastic levers helps to reduce the "sudden release syndrome" which is responsible for most of the broken face plates - a dab of silicone grease on said heater levers makes them less likely to exhibit SRS the next time - don't grip the end knob to pull the plastic levers - the face plate mounting bosses can be stuck in the holes of the dash. Prying gently and patiently with a pallet knife or similar will ease it off. Again, a dab of silicone grease on the bosses makes the next go round easier. - pallet or kitchen knife helps to pry the metal levers into position when re-installing the plastic levers on to them.

alistair