Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Sep 2011 14:08:20 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: flashing coolant light purpose
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@charter.net>

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:22 PM, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net> wrote:

> I wonder if there would be some other way to identify such a failure. I > wouldn't mind having an audio alarm of some type in addition to the > light for low coolant warning - but if a belt breaks and the pump stops > turning and pumping - like you say - you may miss what the real > problem is until it's to late. As a matter of fact - until you mentioned > this, I don't think I had ever even thought of it. Now I am aware, I > know to stop immediately when that alternator light comes on and check > things out. > It is astonishing > the number of people who just get in their vehicles and just drive, > never ever monitoring the engine until it acts up or quits. > > Do Happy Scanning, Have Happy Driving! > > John > > That is why they put things like flashing lights in most cars now....because people aren't aware enough to actually use a gauge. Hence, those flashing warning lights, those blinking "Check Engine" notifications on your digital dashboard...There is a reason those are fondly called "Idiot Lights".....they wake up the Idiot who is driving the vehicle to the fact that something is wrong with it....without confusing him/her with any data, with any incremental knowledge like you might gain by monitoring a gauge..

I get a kick out of the very new vehicles....they should just have a great big flashing dollar sign...followed by a minus sign......because often, when you get some indication of problems with your vehicle's operating systems....it will not tell you what is wrong....you must take the vehicle to the dealer to have him read the fault with his diagno$tic computer....at a very high shop rate and probably appointment needed and 'do not drive this vehicle if you see this warning...have it trucked to the dealer'....

Personally, that overly-complex electrical circuitry in order to warn an Idiot car owner....that is one of the reasons I so enjoy my old vanagon....I can put actual working gauges on it and see things....as they happen...

Don Hanson