Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Sep 2011 18:37:33 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: insulating hot side of Dometic refer
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Thanks everybody for the great info! Especially the photo set linked below. I somehow missed that one before.

How do you guys handle the little door on the city water fan setup? It sounds like you run it even while driving?

Phil says: >The material for this was sourced at a FLAPS. Aluminized ceramic >cloth with a velcro >zipper. Cut to length and wrap around bare Al exhaust pipe.

I want to look at that product at the FLAPS, what purpose is it sold for? I thought about the exhaust wrap tape but worry it might not be good for indoors given the previous warnings about some insulation causing a smell there.

Running my fridge outside the van I was impressed at the amount of air convecting straight up the back. Works great with unlimited free air available...

Edward

At 01:03 PM 9/25/2011, neil n wrote: >I followed other peoples leads by: > >- installing a city water fan >- improving insulation behind fridge and making a channel to improve >air flow (first and second pic starting here:): > > https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/DometicPics#5508482295562306834 > >I think this helps to make city water and stock Dometic fan a bit more >efficient in pulling cooler air from floor area of van up and past >rear of fridge and of course, pulling hotter air away from rear of >fridge. > >Caveat to the "channel": I leave the city water fan on almost all the >time in hot weather as the "channel" may be a double edged sword; it >allows fan to pull air mostly from channel area, and not surrounding >areas, but also may not allow as much natural air movement >(convection) and/or may contain air warmed by fridge and sun hitting >side of van. > >Phil Zimmerman pointed me toward insulating the exhaust tube. Maybe >that race car exhaust insulating tape would work? Be careful what you >use. Roger Sisler commented (archives) that using non stock fiberglass >insulation here: > >https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/DometicPics#5308396270878924818 > >caused a bad smell when fridge running. Maybe exhaust tape would smell? > >Taking Alistairs cue I re did the insulation behind the fridge. Not >that scientific, but pointing my IR gun at bare panel and insulated >yielded quite a difference in temps > >https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/DometicPics#5364783078257333666 > >I redid that particular insulation with blue rigid foam. > >Neil.