Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:24:41 -0800
From:         Gary Bawden <goldfieldgary@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Torque wrenches - - was Question and parts request.

Guys,

When I bought my first torque wrench (a Proto) sometime in the 1970's, the literature supplied with the wrench clearly stated that all values were plus or minus 20%. So please don't get too nutty about 123 lb/ft vs. 125 lb/ft, or even 133 lb/ft - - Jeez, at 20% tolerance, anywhere in the middle ought to be just fine. And remember the old beam-style wrench, did anyone ever be careful to position their head exactly over the scale so as to eliminate a parallax error? Especially at 123 lb/ft? So really, I think of torque values as a guide, not some exacting specification. I look them up in the book, and follow them to the best of my ability, but I am aware that they are not exact. Also, notice that in the case of specs given in metric, they are usually given to the nearest 5 or 10 Nm, then when it is converted for you, it gets down to three significant figures - - go figure!

Gary