Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Sep 2011 18:06:38 -0700
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      No luck getting injection pump drive shaft seal out
Comments: To: "Diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com" <Diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com>

Got another couple of hours work on the Diesel injection pump issue today, but made no real progress. Yesterday before it got dark I had gotten the timing belt and pulley off so I had access to the injection pump drive shaft seal.

Today I tried getting the drive shaft seal out in various ways:

1. drilled small holes with a dremel in the (metal) lip of the seal. Screwed in screws and tugged at the screws. Unfportunately the screws would strip the threads and seal would not move.

2. Along the lines of this guy I tried to pry it out. Also no luck. http://crustycrank.com/resealinjpump.htm (I used one of those trim removal tools which gave me a nice grip behind the seal lip, but I could not make it move. Tried pulling straingt out with both hands (real knuckle buster working witht he pump in the van). Also tried leveraging the pry tool off the pump flange. Still no luck.

3. Made a hook from a bike spoke with the flange cut off. I could get the J-part in betwen the seal and shaft, then tuen it 90degrees and have the J catch the seal lip. However either the seal lip would pierce or the bike spoke bend would straighten, but the seal would not move.

So much trouble for what I thought shoudl have been a relatively easy seal-pop-out...

Anyone has suggestions for what to do?

I could use a drift and try to collapse the seal outer ring, but I'm adraid a slip would make me strike the drive shaft just on the surface where the seal rides.

Thanks for any tips or ideas.

Martin (and '82 Westy 1.9TD "Poppie")