Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:12:00 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's the richest air fuel ration you can still make run?
              also friday Megasquirt VW
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

The wiring isn't that complicated. Often it's what I call 'akin to hooking up a somewhat involved home stereo and TV unit.. a fair number of wires have to go to the right place."

Not that hard really at all... ..helps to be detail-focused, patient, even persistent sometimes.

they don't have to be soldiered. One guy online was talking about a place where he worked and wire splices were used.. and each one was pull-tested to 15 lbs ....each crimp connector as it was assembled. Put heat shrink tubing over that..do a good careful job, and it'll be fine.

The might be the same person that said aircraft wires cant' be soldered even ..though I have no idea if that's true. I can say though .......from having built at least a dozen harnesses , and repaired many bogus-ed up ones....you don't need to solder. But you do need to be meticulous about how you connect things..I check each wire, starting at pin 1 on the ecu ....at least 3 times. I also never final wrap it until I see the engine run for a while successfully. I don't even install ecu and harness in the van body , until I see the engine run successfully. And I don't get side tracked on embellishments, until I see the engine run successfully .. and example of that would be tachometer on a Subaru (without a distributor at all ) .............where you have a distributor and coil ..so tach is extra simple on your setup. My point is, do exactly what is needed, and no more ...to build the harness and connect things and see the engine run, to start with. That works, because , sometimes you do have to dig back into the just-built harness and check and correct things. I think the megasquirt will be pretty easy though... ..not like you are adapting one manufacturers harness, ecu, and engine into another manufacturers vehicle. On a Legacy Subaru 2.2 for example............the engine control wiring harness is completely integrated into all the wires for the front of the car ....headlights, fuse box , on and on ...you have to distill out about 30 % of the huge wiring mess you start with ........which world fill the volume of a 30 gallon garbage can . You just keep eliminating wires...and a few strategic cuts here and there ..until finally ........you have one not-that-crazy engine control harness......very similar to what a waterboxer vanagon has ...like a somewhat simple 'stand-alone' engine control harness, finally. The Mega should be about and eighth that complicated to do.

Just do careful work And test a lot as you go. I am working on a van right now where the owner took out the whole dash ...did a big number on the heater box and sound insulation in there............and didn't even begin to connect or test heater control cables at all..... and they're super screwed up. The whole dash needs to come back to really fix it. So evidently, some people do not know how to carefully assemble, *and test* each component as they go along through the job. As long as you are careful and do good work..............it's not a problem !~ I'm very interested in doing one. I'm still going to go get that 92 jetta 8valve Digifant harness I know of though. Got everything else for it . I'm sure it's a pretty sweet running Digifant system .

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:56 AM Subject: Re: What's the richest air fuel ration you can still make run? also friday Megasquirt VW