Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:28:17 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vile Lower Control Arm Bolt
Comments: To: Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>

I really, really hate living in Arid Zona until I hear stories of this nature. I still think 103 degrees is a bit much for the last day of September.

Karl Wolz

|-----Original Message----- |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] |On Behalf Of Kim Brennan |Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 11:52 AM |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |Subject: Re: Vile Lower Control Arm Bolt | |Just had those bushings and ball joints done on the front of |my Westy Syncro. Let's say I dreaded (rightfully) what the |bill would be. 2 months in the shop while they battled one |issue after another. | | |On Sep 30, 2011, at 12:36 PM, Ken Wilford wrote: | |> Just finished a multi-day fight with a front lower control |arm bolt on |> a Syncro. It was seized into the metal center of the control arm |> bushing and the nut was also seized on the end of the bolt. Major |> pain because you can't get to the nut with anything but a box end |> wrench (not enough space between the nut and the Syncro frame). I |> used a wrench, an air gun, two break bars, two pieces of pipe, a |> grinder, a small air grinder, a sawzall (three Sawzall brand "Torch" |> blades), a heavy duty pry bar, a ball peen hammer, a mini |sledge, an air chisel, and pure brute force. |> Finally got the nut off (squeeking all the way) with vice |grips. Then |> I had to grind the head off of the bolt, cut the bolt on the |back side |> of the head end and the threaded end with the sawzall before |it would |> finally break and allow the lower control arm to come off. |The other |> side came off in about a minute with the air wrench :-) |> |> Anyone have any helpful hints on doing this in the future? I am |> getting ready to tackle the rear control arms next and I am really |> dreading that. I bought all of the hardware before I |started just in |> case I had to cut and grind stuff off. Control are bushing |is out and |> now it is getting washed in the parts washer, bead blasted and |> repainted. Then it gets a new bushing and put back in. The |fun of living in the rust belt! |> |> Ken Wilford |> John 3:16 |> www.vanagain.com |----- |No virus found in this message. |Checked by AVG - www.avg.com |Version: 10.0.1410 / Virus Database: 1520/3929 - Release Date: |09/30/11