Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Sep 2011 23:42:10 -0400
From:         Kevin Gilbert <kggilbert@MYACTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: Van painting cost
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

My '84 westy was repainted this spring for $700. It is definitely a "you-get-what-you-pay-for" paint job. The guy removed all trim, handles, etc., taped the windows and rubber, filled minor dents, and prepped it for painting. He welded in a new rocker panel (I supplied it), and primed and wet-sanded the entire vehicle. The color was not a direct match, but close. It took seven months, countless phone calls, some arm-twisting, and one very real threat to get the van back in my hands. At one point, since I never could track him down, I was concerned he had died, or skipped town, or been jailed. My VW was in his paint booth inside his very-locked shop. Rarely did a vehicle get moved on the lot. So, I now have a decent-looking van (don't get too close), the opportunity to remove overspray from some windows, no seam rust, and 7 months of falling behind on a few mechanical issues. All in all, not too bad for $700, eh?

Kevin