Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 2011 09:34:29 -0600
From:         Ken Wyatt <57skibum@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dollar value of Westfalias

I think current prices remind me of the mid to late 1970s. Back then you could buy a pretty well used but functional fixable late 60s or early 70s muscle car (GTO, 442, LeMans, Firebird, Camaro, Galaxie500, or ?insert your fav. here?) for about $500 - 1000 +/-. I think the vanagons are in that place, about low as they might go. Nowadays, you can't touch a classic muscle car for under 10 - 20K. Will our vanagons go that route? Some will for sure. One thing for sure, there won't be more of them yearly, only less. Take a look at the auction for the 23 window splittie last year. Almost $200K was it?

And then:

I saw a well used 1980 vanagon yesterday here in Salt Lake City. It was for sale and asking price was $8000. WOW! Claimed to have had new engine, lots of mechanical work done, just needed exterior love and TLC. HMMM, It just didn't look that good on the outside or inside. $8000 I thought? Come on, rust, ugly. And I thought I was considering selling mine for 6K. No way now.

And then.....

My mechanic called me Monday to say he believes he's solved my non compliant emissions issue. He was working on another van that couldn't pass emissions. Problem was too much hydrocarbon, so running rich or an incomplete combustion just like mine. So guess what it was? Injectors!!! He says the van he just finished had 2 bad injectors. Hydrocarbon went from 700 to 120 after servicing them, easily passing emissions now. Cool I thought.

And then,

Of course I thought, how ignorant am I/we? Duh!! Its the only thing we neglected/spaced/forgot last year when the new engine was installed. He's so confident its the cause, he suggested I bring my van in and he'll do the labor FREE to R&R the injectors. I'll pay for the servicing. Ok, one more...

And then

Yesterday, cruising the junkyard for J**p electric door locks, I spied a 1986 Vanagon 2 rows down. Checked it out and scored Windshield visor clips to replace my broken ones. May have to go back today, I forgot to check for window trimerry. It was raining.

Yea, 2 steps forward this week. So I'm happy to report that my westy value is up this week.... Cheers, Ken 82 westy SLC, UT

So there you go,