Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Oct 2011 08:47:19 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Battery Charger ?

Not totally Vanagon but it will be used for my Vanagon's batteries.

Where the he** can I find a "manual" battery charger, one that is small enough to carry in a vehicle, not a shop sized wheel around one? I am told I need to have a charging rate of 14volts (amps?), minimum, in order to get my deep cycle batteries back to full charge.

We have a camp trailer with a 'power center' that supplies a low rate (a couple of amps, I guess) charge to the house batteries when the trailer is plugged into shore power or connected to our Coleman generator in an emergency. I can't afford a new expensive inverter/charger/powercenter.

I am told the newer 'power centers' in most RVs and trailers have invertor/chargers that put at least 14 volts into the house batteries when a generator is connected or they ar plugged into the grid....and that we need one of "these"....or alternatly, we can use a seperate battery charger that supplies 14volts, connected right to the house batteries.

I have about 3 of those so called "Smart Chargers" that work seldom on a dead battery..... when a battery is dead or actually needs a charge... (I am being sarcastic there) the chargers won't do it. You clip em on and the circuitry somehow prevents them from adding juice to the battery that is dead. I also have an old style manual charger...it has a dual rate...2amps and 10 amps-It 'sort of' works but it is old and funky with bad switches and no operating dial....So I want to replace that ,but I am told that I need at least 14 amps(?) to get our deep cycle NAPA (almost new) house batteries up again after an extended cloudy camping period....

Online, I have found only one "manual" battery charger of the portable style...Shumacher....but it only delivers 10amps..

So can someone point me to a manual battery charger that puts out about 15 amps? One that is portable and that is under about $75? One that is "On....or....off" without any 'smart programming' that 'needs to see a certain reading before it operates or that diminishes the charging rate as the battery gains, or any of that fancy stuff? I want one to work, every time.

Last winter I was sometimes using our vehicle to charge the batteries in the trailer with jumper cables when my SO ran the house batteries totally flat........Not the most efficient use of fossil fuel... In a perfect world, we would just go to the RV park and pay the $78/night fee to camp....but that is not going to happen...

Don Hanson

Sorry for the imprecise terminology about things electrical...I hope I got my info request across, despite being an electrical dunce.