Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:26:05 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: New tires
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

I replaced my '85 Westy springs with Go Westy springs, replaced bushings with urethane, and replaced the shocks with Konis adjusted to three half turns. I'm using Hankooks @ 45/50psi. Ride couldn't be better/world of difference from before. Don't lower that sled; stiffen it.

Karl Wolz

|-----Original Message----- |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] |On Behalf Of Scott Daniel - Turbovans |Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:52 PM |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |Subject: Re: New tires | |fwiw, |I'm driving an 85 Westy GL a customer just got.. |near showroom condition ..best I've ever seen........paid |almost 14K for it. | |it's got nearly new Hankook RA08's on it. 185 R14C D load |range ( 8PR ) tire pressures are adjusted to 38 front 44 rear.. |and by golly .. |I am always saying D load range tires are too harsh on the front .. |but these do not seem to be that way at all really. |Didn't drive it very far.. |but overall ride and handling ........'not bad' .. |although .. |it is very 'boaty'..............any swevring and it feels very |top heavy and leans a lot .. |like it wants to be an 'understeering pig.' | |I told him we can fix that. |the first thing it needs.. |as do all 85 Weekenders and Westys .........is normal hieght |front springs. |I have changed two of them to GL front springs.. |so they sit level ( they are almost 2 inches too high in front |stock ) .. |and that will help quite a bit. | |Ride with these tires is good, no harshness in the steering wheel ... |like front tires do not seem too stiff.. |but being so high in the front, and 'jsut 14's with same size |front and rear tires ' ... |it's quite 'boaty' yet. | |fwiw .. |I am always suprised when people apparoch vanagon tires like |it's all about 'being a truck' ..and 'carrying a load' .. |one guy was even talking about if he was going to carry say 70 |% of the tires max load .. |he would adjsut tire pressures to 70 % of max allowed pressure. | |I say 'what' !!?? |I have always been a sporty driver first, truck driver last.. |( I've raced in Baja and all that ) and I always and only tune |for handling.. |i.e ..............good straight line tracking, good 'turn in' |and good cornering stability with not too much understeer. |When I do have a huge load, I up tire pressures of course.. |and don't expect it to handly too sporty then either, of course. | |they really are 'sports vans' ..... |they have a sporting type suspension ......coil springs, rear |trailing arms, A-arm front suspension ( so do Lamborgini's ) |rack and pinion steering and more .. |That ain't trucks in my world ! They're true 'sports vans' . | |lol, |scott |----- Original Message ----- |From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> |To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> |Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:29 PM |Subject: Re: New tires | | |> Last fall, I did get a second set of wheels with some used tires |> already mounted. Two passenger load range regular tread |tires and two |> Hakkapellita snows, but not the proper ones...they were sold to the |> lady as "these should do the job" but the load range was 'passenger |> car'.... |> |> I just went ahead and stuck them on my Van because I wanted to save |> my good snows for a trip south...and I figured, what the |heck, driving around |> my local area, if I had a flat, I could deal with it. All |but one of |> those |> passenger-rated tires developed bulges or tread seperations within a |> month or two. |> That could have been because of their age or because the |tire wasn't |> up to my driving conditions, which include dirt roads and |sometimes a |> substantial load... |> |> So for my usage, I think I like the stiffer sidewalls and the best |> load range available. I don't really care about the ride |smoothness, |> but I do care about tracking as straight as possible in gusty winds |> and around sinuous highways...and I don't like having a tire |develop a |> tread bulge or other problems when I am driving far from |home or carrying a big load... |> |> I have found the Hakkapelittas went an amazing distance before |> getting thin, and on dry pavement a lot. I think I got about 35k |> miles from them...hard to say for certain as I had those |others on for a time.... |> Don Hanson |> |> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:55 AM, The Bus Depot <vanagon@busdepot.com> |> wrote: |> |>> > If snow driving is really an issue you should use the |Hakkapelittas |>> > for all four. Especially since the Hankooks are not that |good even |>> > for rain. |>> |>> |>> I second Dennis's opinion that there is no substitute for snows in |>> all 4 corners if you are in a region where snow is common. No |>> all-season tire - not even the Hankooks - can compare with a good |>> directional snow tire when driving on snow and ice. The |Nokian snows |>> are an excellent choice (although we don't carry them). We |carry the |>> $99 Kumho Power Grip 185R14 directional snow tire for the |more budget |>> minded - |>> http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=185KC11 |>> |>> I should add that snows are not necessarily a good |year-round choice, |>> though (unless of course you live in a climate where they're |>> necessary). The rubber compound that gives a snow tire its |extra grip |>> also wears faster, so you'll chew through tires faster than if you |>> used all-season tires during non-snowy months. I picked up a spare |>> set of used Vanagon wheels for my Westy so I could have two sets of |>> tires/wheels - a set of Hankooks and a set of snows |>> - |>> and swap them out in the winter. The investment in the snows is |>> largely offset by the fact that their use prolongs the |lifespan of my |>> Hankooks (which are now only on the van 8 months a year), so in the |>> long run the only real cost was the used wheels. |>> |>> Finally, I must respectfully disagree with Dennis regarding the |>> Hankooks in rain. While they are only a so-so snow tire |(which is the |>> case with any "all-season" tire), I have always found them to be |>> extremely sure footed in rain. In fact I would say they're |among the |>> best I've used on wet roads (and I've used many over the years). |>> |>> As always, you can find our article on choosing the right Vanagon |>> tire at http://busdepot.com/details/tires.jsp |>> |>> - Ron Salmon |>> The Bus Depot, Inc. |>> www.busdepot.com |>> (215) 234-VWVW |>> |>> _____________________________________________ |>> Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT |>> |----- |No virus found in this message. |Checked by AVG - www.avg.com |Version: 2012.0.1831 / Virus Database: 2090/4547 - Release |Date: 10/11/11