Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Oct 2011 14:32:49 -0400
From:         Ed Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trouble-Please HELP with 1.9 water pump removal issues
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Well, here's a summary of the troubles and how I dealt with them. I had started this job quite a few weeks ago. I looked in the Bentley and Haynes manuals, and for advice online. I followed the advice on Tom's VW pages online. It seemed like a nice set of step-by-step instructions from someone who's done it before. Mine seemed to be slightly different than his situation- I had 6 mm allen head bolts where he mentions regular hex head, and I had all studs holding the water pump on where he mentions a mixture of studs and bolts. Before I could even get to to the point where his instructions start, I had to take off the a/c compressor, as it prevented me from getting two coolant hoses off. I also had trouble getting one of the spring clamps off- the part that I had to squeeze wasn't accessible, and I ultimately had to use a Dremel to cut the clamp in two places to get it off. At this time I took a break from the job and just kind of dreaded going back to it.

Fast forward to this past Tuesday. I stopped by my grandmother's house to visit, and she had an Appalachian Trail hiker staying with her on his way through. We started talking VWs, and he mentioned that his girlfriend got an '84 Vanagon last year. I told him about my three Vanagons, and the one with the water pump issue. He has a background in mechanics, and was going to take a day off from hiking. I asked if he was interested in helping me out and making a little money, and he agreed to come over and lend a hand.

We followed the instructions I had printed out, and adjusted them based on what we encountered that was slightly different. The instructions called for removing the pump and t-stat housing as a unit, and separating them after removal. The first problem was breaking off the bolt head from the flange attached to the t-stat housing. It seemed like it would have been easier to take off the flange rather then take off the short section of hose attached to it- it was very short and there wasn't much room to move two spring clamps out of the way.

Another issue was getting the upper cross-over pipe out of the t-stat housing. We couldn't move the pipe enough toward the passenger side, and couldn't move the water pump enough toward the other way. We overcame this by taking off the power steering pump. Now that I'm not looking at it, I can't remember if this was on the upper or lower crossover pipe, but we had a small issue with the dipstick tube attached to the pipe. We removed a small hose clamp and it detached. Others have said that they had to cut and re-weld. I'm not sure if mine was different- maybe someone had cut them apart and used the hose clamp instead of re-welding.

We ended up leaving the lower passenger side flange in place, and just pulling off the rubber hose section in the middle.

My pump was attached with three studs, and not a mixture of studs and bolts. There was a clearance issue with pulling out the pump. I forget what was in the way, but my helper took care of that while I got some more tools.

When we had the unit out, it was time to separate the pump and t-stat housing. One long bolt came out with little trouble; the other one wouldn't budge. We had it to the point that the pump and housing would spin apart, but still had one bolt in the t-stat housing. Now I was faced with two problems- the bolt broken off on the flange on the elbow section of the housing, and one bolt stuck in it. I didn't have a metric nut to put on the bolt to try to tap it out. Penetrating oil wasn't enough. It was advised by others not to heat it. I didn't have any impact tools.

We went with the back-up plan. I have a complete 1.9 engine on my garage floor that I removed from my previous Vanagon Westfalia two years ago. We took off the water pump and thermostat housing from that one instead of dealing with the two problems on the other one. One more problem here, though- the bolt broke off in the water pump. So we used one of the bolts from the other one. We cleaned up both bolts and used plenty of copper anti-seize on whole length to prevent problems should there be a next time for doing this job. I didn't want to chance taking the t-stat housing apart and having any more issues, as my helper was only available for a few more hours, and, based on the problems and his terrific help and advice so far, I knew I'd get too frustrated to finish the job without him.

Then he noticed another issue- the old pump shaft and impeller had become pretty loose, and had scored the case. I guess some rivet aluminum to it, some jb weld, some leave it alone. We left it alone, mostly by necessity.

We got everything back together pretty easily. I got it to the point of adding coolant and starting to bleed the system and check for leaks. I see one area of seepage- I can't tell if it's coming from the lower passenger side crossover tube flange, or from the head above it. We didn't remove that flange, but maybe it was a little loose before. I'll get to that as I finish filling and bleeding.

I want to completely drain and flush the system, and this would have seemed like the logical time, but I really wanted to get it all back together while my helper was here, so I'll flush it out later. I did add some of the Subaru cooling system conditioner to help with any small head gasket or other leaks. We'll see how it goes. I am getting quite a bit of foaming of the coolant. I'm not sure if it's from too much of the Subaru stuff, or something entirely different.

That's' where I'm at now. When I come home from work, I'll try to finish filling and bleeding.

I'll deal with the broken and stuck bolts from the original set-up another time, and use those as a back-up.

Ed