Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Oct 2011 12:30:40 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: tire size calculator Re: tire circumference
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>

---- mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET> wrote: > If you go and read the exact size actually on your tire it may answer > this for you. Then enter that actual size into the calculator......

Mark, I am not sure what question you are saying this will answer, since no question is posed in any of the posts below. So far as entering the exact size on my tire into the calculator, I have done that before, except the Kumho tires I have do not include aspect ratio in the tire size printed on the tire (nor do Hankook RA08 tires have it as part of the tire size. The reason is that the tires are the "standard" aspect ratio of 75, or that is my understanding. If the aspect ratio of the tire is 75, then that is not included as part of the tire size. If the aspect ratio is otherwise, then it is stated. Experts may know better, but I have noticed that no size as printed on a tire or published ever gives an aspect ratio of 75, but every other ratio is given for tires that have one (for example, 70, or 60). I remember when many passenger tires had an aspect ratio of 80. Now many come from the factory with the profile being 55. Bounce that over a pothole at 45 mph and maybe no more tire and a bent rim. For sure, don't drive it on unpaved roads.

Anyway, when I used the Miata calculator, I used an aspect ratio of 75.

mcneely > > Mark > > mcneely4@cox.net wrote: > > ---- mark drillock<mdrillock@COX.NET> wrote: > >> And if you look at the tire manufacturer spec tables it makes clear the > >> fact that the Miata.net calculator is bunk. > > > > for what it's worth, the revolutions per mile for the Hankook R08 given from the manufacturer and supplied yesterday by Dennis, and that given on the Miata.net calculator for that same tire size (185R75-14) are the same at 809 rpm. > > > > that does not mean that the conversions the Miata site published are always correct, it just means that the revolutions per mile published by these two sources for that tire and tires of that size agree. > > > > mcneely > > > >> > >> Mark > >>

-- David McNeely