Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Oct 2011 13:05:59 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mullendore port help follow-up

Well, my squeak must be in the other bearing. ('86 woflsburg) One thing I have noted is that my fan motor shaft looks a little different from the photos I've seen. Most just look like the end of a shaft sticking out of the bearing about 1/4". Mine seems to be longer and has something on it like a washer or large diameter cap. It has the appearance of a tiny pulley. It looks like maybe 3/4" in diameter. Looking at the edge of this thing, it looks like the center is a different material than the edges. Maybe there's already an aftermarket motor in there?

Anyway, with an LED headlight worked into the air inlet, I could get good light on the bearing and see it fine through the 5/8" hole I drilled. The trick is both seeing through the hole and getting the lube tube in there. I used the very thin tube from the tri-flow bottle and stuck that into the more typical size straw that comes on many spray cans. I first enlarged the opening of the larger straw with a tiny drill bit. First tried tri-flow. not much change. Then tried PB blaster as Mr Mullendore himself used. not much change. then I tried some WD-40 with just the one large straw on the can. Less pinpoint accuracy there. A few shots missed but then I hit the bearing dead on with 2 or 3 short bursts. I could hear the motor speed up, but not much change in the squeak. One more blast with motor off and let it soak a few hours. Came back to test....not much change. Then back to tri-flow. Used both tubes and got it dead on the spot with the motor off. Turned it on for just an instant a few times to barely spin the motor, then let it soak. Test the next morning, squeak is still there. The squeak is most evident at the lowest turning speed, like when the motor is starting up or slowing to a stop from speed 1. No squeak on speed 2 or 3. So I guess I'll live with it until I pull the dash and do the whole heater system rehab.

Edward