Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Oct 2011 14:28:32 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: latest info needed on cv joints
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

I don't know the whole history on the Lobros - heard they began making them in China - and then that stopped after problems. Don;'t know that's even true that they went to China - but even back when I had my very first van - a '68 Loaf - the guy that rebuilt my engine told me to stick strictly with the Lobros,. I have - and never had a bad one. Have to be diligent with the maintenance, as they are a high stress part, so routine cleaning and greasing along with keeping good boots on them will make them last near the life of the engine itself. If there are no tears in the boots, pulling, cleaning, and re-greasing at 25,000 mile intervals should do it. Maybe new boots just to make sure nothing happens before the next service interval.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 10/19/2011 11:59 PM, Don Hanson wrote: > I had a long talk with Peter (?) at Van Cafe about the CV joints for my > 84. He still had some of those axle kits, but he said he wouldn't like to > sell me one, he would prefer to sell me the good ones. It seems they've had > a big percentage of failures and problems with those Eastern kits...so much > so that they will no longer sell them... > > That was good enough info to decide me on getting the Lobros, despite > their higher cost and more labor...CV and axle replacement is a pretty nasty > task....when you work off jack stands on an unheated concrete slab, or worse > yet, out on the roadside somewhere, should one fail while traveling. > > I know nothing of Go Westie's kits. > > Don Hanson > > On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Mike Riley<mkriley@fuse.net> wrote: > >> received this from van cafe and can anybody confirm yes or no? >> >> " >> "We now carry only Lobro cv boot and boot kits which has resolved >> "premature cracking. If anymore questions arise let us know. >> >> "Thank You, >> >> "Chris >> >> "http://www.van-cafe.com (Vanagon Online Parts Store) >> "831-426-1244 (Phone) >> >> what do you recommend for cv joints, rebuilt axles from go westy? >> don't want chinese made. >> >> what is the currant scoop on the cv situation all the archive stuff is out >> of date >> mike >> >