Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:51:34 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC Splittie coming my way: what to do?
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

The bigger question Jim is .. are you willing to take on a multi-hundred hour project ????

That's the real question. I have learned the hard way ...........'free things' are not free at all.

at the minimum, after schlepping it to your place.. you have to look at it, or deal with it, or something for a long long time likely.

or if you don't mind it looking like a junkyard at your place ......that could be ok.

another factor .........what model.. if it was a rare 21 window or something like that ......'maybe' ... I vote for 'pass' .. unless you really love dealing with serious rust and body cancer.

I had a similar chance recently .. the sweetest little deluxe, original, authentic 1930's two-cockpit mahogany Chris Craft runabout 14 ft boat. I just *loved* everything about the design and shape. Pure classic, plus a rare combination of 'deluxe' ( like not a fishing or work boat ) and 'modest' ...........not some big complicated inboard 40 footer or anything .. it was 400 bucks sitting on a pretty bad boat trailer. and ....... I could see hundreds of hours going into it. Months even. I waited about 10 days ...called the guy ........it had been sold.. and .............'no title' , and that sealed it for me for sure ....'not at this time.'

meanwhile I started rust repair on a very nice 93 Eurovan MV poptop with 5 speed manual trans. Severe surface rust and some finite amounts of body cancer rust .. all dealable-with ...........a hundred hours will disappear into it .. but I really like doing that kind of rust restoration ... and when running and driving it'll be a pretty nice rig.

on your 67 Spitty .. unless you are just jonsin' for one of those .. and lots of spare time, and love dealing with rust.. I suggest 'pass' this time.

I have numerous decent vanagons, very UN rusted you can buy as project vans. And even my parts/project vans are aired out, kept dry, lubed here and there .. even the non-runners are kept alive and healthy....ready for their day again.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Felder" <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:40 PM Subject: NVC Splittie coming my way: what to do?