Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Nov 2011 21:57:51 -0400
From:         pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transmission Woes
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@gmail.com>

I think this should be a failed/failing pilot bearing.

This would effectively prevent the clutch from ever being truly disengaged, regardless of how well the clutch itself is working mechanically.

It means that with the engine off *and* the wheels stopped, you should be able to shift fine, but with either moving at a speed very different from the other, shifting requires very good rev-matching.

Being able to start with the clutch depressed is consistent with this, since the failing pilot bearing can provide much less resistance than an engaged clutch. It's enough resistance that the synchromeshes can't cope with, but not so much that it prevents the engine from starting.

If this is what it is you want to avoid driving more with it failed because you'll eventually mess up the shaft where it rides on the pilot bearing. (Only time spent with the clutch pedal down counts against you.)

Might as well replace the clutch while you have the transmission out (if you look around, there's some oil seal people like to replace at the same time too), but my money is on the little pilot bearing.