Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Nov 2011 10:06:46 -0600
From:         ralph meyermann <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: bmw brake booster "upgrade"
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@gmail.com>

And could this unit benefit us diesel folks?

Velma 82diesel 1.6 na westy

On Nov 5, 2011 8:55 PM, "pickle vanagon" <greenvanagon@gmail.com> wrote:

Over at thesamba, there's a thread on "upgrading" the vanagon booster to BMW model that is larger diameter: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=443880&highlight=brake+booster+dash

And, viewing other threads over there, it seems several of their forum members have done this, seeming satisfied with the results.

Has anyone hear made the change?

I ask because I think I may have to replace our booster, and the BMW booster's price new seems to be about half that of the vanagon booster. (e.g., here: http://catalog.importrp.com/item.wws?mfr=ATE&sku=BMW018726&source=GOOGLEBASE ) (I'm not interested in installing a used booster.)

My understanding is that: 1) maximum braking power won't be improved, as this is limited by the calipers and hydraulic system, not the strength of my legs at this point. But: 2) the power required to achieve any given braking power will be reduced, so the brakes should be more "responsive" in that sense 3) otherwise there don't seem to be major downsides.

Obviously, I'm especially interested in any thoughts/feedback on #3.