Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Nov 2011 08:21:53 -0500
From:         T Collins <tonycollin@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Won't accelerate
Comments: To: HotelWestfalia <zolo@foxinternet.net>

I am going with clogged fuel delivery if it idles and then dies when acceleration is to occur. What does the pump sound like? is the filter clean or recently changed? 86, that means it should be the post pump can-like filter.

How old is the tank?.

Im guessing that if the pump is loud and you dont know anything about the tank and filter that I would make sure that filter is clean and listen to the pump again. If that does not do it I would say that their is sufficient crap in the tank that it makes the pump wine and then when under load it completely obstructs the delivery of fuel killing the van.

Simplest solution on that scenario. Blow air in the tank undo the gas cap. Blow with an air hose by way of the outbound gas line. Low pressure air please and listen for bubbles in the tank. Any junk obstructing the delivery of fuel we hope settles elsewhere in the tank. This is only a temporary fix, but will tell you if the pump stops screeming that obstruction(old fuel, rust, crud, dirt) is the cause. This would be the simplest 1st thing I would do to try to track your demon.

If this helps, but then occurs again then tank R/R and or cleaning may be the next step. If the pump is nice and smooth, the filter is good and you know the condition of the tank, then I would move on the the next suggestions.

GL, Tony

-- 82 Scirocco "Rodolfo" 85 Vanagon "El Guapo" http://groups.google.com/group/wash-co-vws2<http://groups.google.com/group/wash-co-vws2?lnk=gcimh> (new)

\