Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:47:19 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: westy sighting in McKinney TX
Comments: To: Mike South <msouth@GMAIL.COM>

---- Mike South <msouth@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Hey, > > anyone on the list have a westy with the top popped at Town Lake in > McKinney, TX today?

Not mine. However, if you know that camping (or overnight parking) is allowed in the McKinney parks, Towne Lake or elsewhere, I would like to know about it. My sister lives in McKinney, and I have tried to find places within reasonable driving of her home where I could "camp" (park overnight and sleep). She advised me that the city parks are off limits for that, though nearby Corps of Engineers reservoirs and a couple of state parks are available. Of course, being the motor home traveler that she is, she thought I should go to one of the RV parks. Last time, I parked in her driveway. A neighbor was surprised when he saw me exit the camper at about 7 in the morning in my pajamas. My sister later told me that there is a city ordinance against sleeping in one's car. She did not know if it applied to private property, and it was fine with her for me to park the camper in her drive and snooze away. Seems odd that it could. We tend to have family gatherings where a single family house is too small for all who congregate to have sleeping space.

Here is the city's web description of Towne Lake Park: http://www.mckinneytexas.org/parks.aspx?id=11678#disc%20golf

I was amused by a web site I found where a blogger posted that he lived in McKinney, which he described as a "small town north of Dallas." McKinney is a rush, rush, rush, urban sprawl monster suburb, where the main occupations seem to be shopping at giant malls and big box stores, and driving pall mal down the freeways and city "collector" roads.

mcneely