Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Nov 2011 19:48:11 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bleeding brakes - 1.9 - questions
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

how old is the master cylinder ? how long was a perhaps weakish master cylinder in use ?

because ............you can have a kinda old hydraulic system that works.. and if you disturb it, like bleeding ...you can push it over the edge.

AND ........tell me you DID NOT stroke the brake pedal all the way to floor with a manual bleeding method , on a used master cylinder ........ ! .........?? ( I made this same comment about 5 months ago on here.. I knew reading the guy's post he did this ..pedal all the way to the floor with a used brake MC. )

one should never stroke the pedal more than half way to the floor on a used brake master cylinder. When you do ....... you make the seals slide over an area they have not been sliding over ..and that area can be rough and corroded ..and you harm the 'were working' seals in the MC that way.

You don't say if you used a manual or a 'power bleeder' method. I like a manual method .. since I can feel when it's actually pushing fluid.. and I can see if air gets pumped in by a bad MC.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Lincoln" <magikvw@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 6:10 PM Subject: Bleeding brakes - 1.9 - questions