Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:37:10 -0800
From:         jes poynter <clementineintwilight@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '87 vanagon camper hesitating/bucking and burnin
              g gas in méxico

and good morning from san carlos, sonora!

it's only a 2 hour drive or so from hermosillo but we made it.

after changing the fuel filter, the type of gas, the temp sensors, cleaning the grounds, checking the coolant system for any air/making sure there was adequate coolant and reconnecting the O2 sensor we took it out on the road.

it seemed to be running amazingly, no lurching/bucking any of that as we drove out of town. the only things was the temp arrow on the dash continuing to rise. the blinking light ceased for a little while. we're thinking it's because the fan does not seem to be working.

but then as we were on the highway and started going faster, the bucking started again. i tried cycling the ignition and it didn't help at all. also, while driving the idle would go a little nuts as in down and then back up, which i think may have something to do with the throttle switch or air idle valve (?). it seemed worse at certain times and then better. actually as we went pretty fast, it stopped for a bit and then returned. as did the blinking temp light.

i have some tips on how to check/fix the fan as well as adjusting the throttle switch, i believe. i've also noticed a very slow drip of oil :(

so folks, as i continue in my own research, if anyone is willing to elaborate more specifically on the fan and the throttle or any other ideas that come to mind, i'm open!

i'm also wanting to continue our search for other vw owners around here so i'll do that as we find a delicious lunch in a few hours. but, tell me, if we keep driving this way, what kind of damage am i doing? in particular, what's up with the oil dripping?

as always, my gratitude for your knowledge and efforts grows. thank you so much for the help.

jes