Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Nov 2011 19:51:51 -0500
From:         Jason <uberhare@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: fire at the Potts' house - can you help?
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <jhecht@alum.mit.edu>

Thank you for the info/update Joy.

Donation sent.

Jason Ewing

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Joy Hecht <jhecht@alum.mit.edu> wrote: > Hi all, > > As some of you know, Greg and Collen Potts and their children were hit with > a fire in their kitchen this week.  The family is fine - two cats didn't > fare so well - but their kitchen has been destroyed and their house has had > major smoke damage.  They are staying with Gord and Marg Potts now (Greg's > parents - of course lots of you know all of them), and it's going to be a > long haul. > > The Potts family has made great contributions to the vanagon community over > the years.  I think it's time for us to give back to them now, when they're > needing help.  Pay-it-forward-fund to the rescue!  It is taking a new form > now - Larry Chase realized that for legal and tax reasons he couldn't keep > running it all himself,  so he asked if I could manage it this time.  I > hope you can help! > > Here's what Greg said to Larry about their situation: > > "We lost two pet cats to the fire but the people came through unscathed, > and the structure of the house and our neighbors in connected townhouses > were not affected. It was a 2-alarm blaze, with six fire trucks attending. > Although the fire was contained to the kitchen the smoke damage is quite > extensive throughout the house. Beds, furniture and all sorts of stuff > will need to be replaced. We have been told we need to vacate the premises > before they can start repairs, and that it will probably be February > before we will be able to move back in. We got a bin delivered to the > driveway yesterday and by the time we finished today it's already more > than half full." > > > Their house is insured, but the contents weren't, so please help if you can! > > For funds in either $US or $CA, you can use paypal, to Greg@Pottsfamily.ca, > his paypal address. > > Checks or money orders IN $CA ONLY can be sent to: > > Greg Potts > 29 Marta avenue > Scarborough, Ontario > M1K1V6 > > (That's Gord and Marg's address.) > > Please don't send checks in $US, use paypal if you've got US money. > Canadian banks can take a rather hefty fee for the currency conversions, so > your support might end up going to the bank instead of to the Potts family. > > If you'd like to have your contribution or the amount be hidden, please > send it to me via paypal, at jhecht@alum.mit.edu.  I'll be happy to pool > the contributions and forward them in a lump sum. > > Thank you so much for any help you can provide! > > > > Joy > (en route back from Indonesia...) >