Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Nov 2011 16:24:58 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Corvair-powered Bay on Virginia CL

I also forgot to mention, anyone who has been around VW's for a long time will remember this was a popular conversion back in the late 60's/early 70's,and kits were available to install the Corvair motor in both Bugs & Buses, much like the Subaru/Bostig conversions are now for our vans. Again, it was pretty cool to drive a '71 Westy with 110hp, a whole different world than a stock one with 40hp! Jeff Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- > Actually, not all that strange at all, there are plenty of Corvairs > still out there. It is often referred to as the "poor mans classic > car", as fully restored examples rarely go over 5K in value. What is > strange is that the engines suffered many of the maladies that VW > engines did, leaky pushrod tubes, dropped valve seats, etc. It also > had a very bizarre fan belt arrangement and was prone to throwing the > fan belt-so much so that there are kits out there to warn the driver > that the fan belt has been thrown. I had the pleasure of driving a > Corvair powered '71 Westy a few years ago and it was a blast. I was > interested in doing the conversion to my '75 Westy, and obtained 90% > of the parts to do it, but like most projects the time just wasn't > there and I sold off all the stuff-some to a guy in the Virginia Beach > area. As for being dangerous, well, most would say the same of our > beloved Beetles and early (Split & Bay) buses. Jeff Jeff Stewart ----- > Original Message ----- > > Very strange. > > The Corvair was Chevy's failed attempt to offer a US alternative the > > strange and rapidly multiplying VW Beetle. > > It was so poorly engineered it flipped and killed lots of people, > > including > > two I knew in high school. > > It gave Ralph Nader his start as a consumer activist, the subject of > > his > > book "Unsafe At Any Speed" > > As an engine, if I recall correctly, it fried valves frequently or > > had > > another fatal defect. Strange to have one running, let alone in a > > VW. > > Halloween is over isn't it? > > On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Stephen Grisanti > > <bike2vcu@yahoo.com>wrote: > > > Not mine: > > > > > > http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2676492483.html > > > > > > 1979 VW BUS - $5000 (Varina) - 1979 VW Bus with 1967 chevy corvair > > > engine > > > with two speed auto transmission. Interior stock. Bill 399-9490 > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Stephen > > >