Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:27:00 -0800
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Product recommendation: Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket

After getting the new exhaust on I was mildly distressed to discover a leak where the two crossover pipes from the engine meet the collector.  Seems the flanges on the two pipes were not exactly parallel to the collector flange, resulting in a gap on each (the front one was worse) that let out noise and fumes and which would have prevented the van from passing inspection.

Not knowing if angled-face gaskets are available I went looking for any solution at the nearby Advance Auto, where helpful and savvy Andy suggested the stuff mentioned in the title.  A 9 oz. can for  $8 and about 90 minutes got me going again.  I disassembled that junction, masked off the flange faces to prevent overspray and gave 'em several coats, and hung the gaskets from a coat hanger and liberally sprayed both sides.

The stuff sets up with a nice coppery color and very thick, tacky consistency, which made for an interesting reassembly, but after snugging everything down it is now silent.  Wow!

Stephen