Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Nov 2011 12:44:56 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How hard is installing turbo I4 in Vanagon?
Comments: To: "greentabe-vanagon@yahoo.com" <greentabe-vanagon@yahoo.com>

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 11:12 AM, greentabe-vanagon@yahoo.com < greentabe-vanagon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So there's this guy on Craigslist selling his project > > http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/2694396181.html > > I wonder how much work it would be to install that in a van? Any ideas? > > _tabe johnson/90MV >

I can't really see from the pics but it looks like it is a cross-flow head motor, which means it wouldn't fit without some kind of box built above the engine lid. Even at 50deg. like the diesel inlines sit in vanagons, the cross flow protrudes into the 'living space'....Still, that is an interesting add...the turbo and the Megasquirt alone are probably worth the price.

From my limited research, making a Mega Squirt work is pretty simple and there are existing data bases (tune programs) for most VW engines that you can simply download into the Megasquirt and your inline VW motor will be all tuned on startup....other people have done all the dyno tuning already for every possible combo, almost...

The issue you would run into using a 300+hp turbo VW inline in a van....it would be dicey, tapping that much horsepower and torque and then go pushing such a big blocky heavy boxy vehicle at high speeds... with a motor designed to push a small light much more aerodynamic sedan.....My guess is you'd be buying bottom ends more often than WBX Headgaskets....grin.