Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Nov 2011 09:37:25 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel na is breathing coolant
Comments: To: Frank Lee <techedteacher@GMAIL.COM>

Antifreeze inside an engine is extremely corrosive. Especially to Diesels. Bearings goodbye. Big Diesel maintenance includes oil testing and one of the things they look for is antifreeze as PPM become a problem. The air filter of course has to be changed and get the oil out of there quick.

While the expansion tanks are known for the seams leaking catastrophic failure is usually a symptom. For the VW Diesels you need to investigate cracked head or bad head gasket. The failure after the short highway run indicates this.

Dennis

Yellow Sub just sprayed coolant over the top of the engine. On a short drive down the Baltimore 83 Expressway she choked and died, from breathing coolant sprayed and vacuumed into the air intake. The Coolant Expansion Tank (82 diesel na) has a side seam crack that faces the engine.

I followed the recent Coolant Threat and bought Zerex G-05, distilled water and coolant tester. But the proper replacement tank is rare I discovered. Found one OEM for $149 + shipping.

Its HDHP --> a thick milk bottle, Right? The crack is on a seam. So gluing and sealing seams with fiberglass and TAP- Poly Weld <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-9yhanz5DE> should work I think. I like the idea of saving the rare part, like welding the oil pan. Or is it 30 year old brittle?

My questions 1) am I better off just buying the $150 OEM tank?

2) any experience using Poly Weld? The youtube is really clear.

3) Is my new air filter OK after breathing coolant?

4) point me to basic the step-by-step and precautions to drain, refill and test the coolant system~~ For Dummies and Novice Mechanics. Must be flushed, right? Bleeding? Is my Bentley Manual good for this?

5) I have new Van Cafe headlights and relay to install. Sounds like this is a good project for same time, since bleeding is at the front end. Correct?

Frank