Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Nov 2011 21:53:25 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: D15 connector revealed
Comments: To: Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>

Spade fuses start in 1986 in Vanagons. Up to, and including 1985 .. they are the old cermaic things with strip of metal going down the side.

those older fuses are prone to making poor contact on their ends. The way I check them ... I energize each circuit, and test for voltage on the tab at each end of the fuse. .. if there's power at both spots..the fuse is conducting.

I always twist them ...to help the ends make contact. I spray them briefly with WD-40. I never leave the plastic cover on .. as they do better with ventilation .. I have seen moisture, and even liquid water collect in those plsastic covers. Much better to leave it off.

just 'looking at them' ...visual inspection ....lets you see the fuse is not blown.. but doesn't tell you if it's conducting really.

It's the one important upgrade 85's didn't get. ( there are two kinds of 85's btw...early ones with metal coolant pipes, the older style throttle switches, and stamp lower front control arms in the suspension, a few even have the old style < and weak > parking brake handle. Later 85's have plastic coolant pipes, a 2.1 style throttle switch, and cast lower control amrs, and they always have the improved parking brake handle. )

( the front brakes are a different style starting in 86 too. )

scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kim Brennan" <kimbrennan@MAC.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, November 07, 2011 9:00 PM Subject: Re: D15 connector revealed