Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Nov 2011 22:46:01 +0000
From:         Skip <skiplaubach@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Start/Run/Then No Start
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

84 Westy 1.9L

Temp Sensor II. www.vanagain.com (Ken) will be sending me one (the harness too), so I will see if that's the trick. Currently, my Temp Sensor II harness/connector has some missing plastic. Not that the missing plastic is the root cause, but is indicative of age/tiredeness, time to be replaced. And, the indication of "starting good cold/not starting hot" is pointing toward the Temp II sensor (being wacky).

My Idle Stabilizer (I've connected it unto itself several times) seems to be OK for now.

Boy, when I drove her last night it sure sounded alot healthier than before (now with the new/used ECU). Hittin' on all cylinders, as they say. I'm anxious to see if the mpg will change - my mpg was dropping rapidly in the last 500 mile trip I took a couple of weeks ago.

What I really need to get done is a new tap/helicoil on the left/rear exhaust manifold to the head/female threads (on the head). Only one bolt is holding this manifold to the head. I will have studs installed. If I have to remove both heads I'll have new studs placed in all of the female threads on the exhaust manifold connections.

Thank you,

Skip

----- Original Message ----- From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 20:37:57 -0000 (UTC) Subject: Re: Start/Run/Then No Start

Hi .. first...........it's SO nice that you have year and model and engine on the first line ! ( oughta be mandatory ..actually, I have filter set up so that if it's not there..I don't even see the posting ! )

You got it . ..'bad something.'

I'll tell you one igntion part on 1.9's that I've had very intermittant problems with ... Idle Stablizer. That green plastic box on the left firewall by the coil and ignitor.

it can run with that bypassed ... but I much prefer to have one installed and working. They are all 25 + years old ....when electronic things get that old .. have been heat cycled a million times........they are just suspect any time there are weird issues. Same is true for the Hall Sender in the distrubutor .. somewhat for the Coil, and I don't think I've ever had a bad Igniter actually.

also .....'contact' or 'connection' to Temp Sensor II .... I've had that connector or wires act up ......and it sure seemed to be related to intermittant no-start.

I've also seen a Temp Sensor II that was OK cold, wonky hot. Though that was on a 2.1 and a different style temp sensor . On your engine that part is easy to replace ...doesn't cost too much .. and there are el cheapo's from some offshore country .. and there are better ones. and pay very close attention to the connection there.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Skip" To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" Cc: Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 4:27 AM Subject: Start/Run/Then No Start

84 Westy 1.9L

She started this morning! So at this juncture, I'm not planning to crawl under and hook up the remote starter, test the NOID, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't revisited prior posts) but if the engine doesn't restart when it's warm/hot, could that indicate a bad Temp II sensor? Or does it indicate a different "bad something" perhaps?

Again, symptoms: 1. Replaced ECU, engine fired right up. 2. Drove 5 miles, shut her off, engine would not restart (last night). 3. This morning (engine cold), she fired right up (immediately on the first turn). I shut down and restarted several times just fine.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Skip

Sent from my iPhone