Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Nov 2011 20:52:27 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Start/Run/Then No Start
Comments: To: George <skiplaubach@gmail.com>

your plan sounds good.

your testing does not say the temp sensor is bad.. but ... it's easy to try, and not a terribly expensive part.. so it's worth trying.

next time it does it.. check for ignition right away... the most common reason I have seen for a no-start is lack of ignition... as long as it's not a fuel supply issue .. and I have seen this .. ( it was on a 2.1 though ) start cold fine, run mostly ok, ...it would rev up by itself ( not something that happens to 1.9's ) ... shut it off, then wouldn't re-start.. that was due to being too rich and flooding ..

don't be tricked by flooding is all I am saying.

let us know. Scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "George" <skiplaubach@gmail.com> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 6:55 PM Subject: Re: Start/Run/Then No Start

84 Westy 1.9L Digijet

(for the benefit of the "digesters", I deleted the string, but it is a very good string...)

So, she started up again cold, I drove her until the coolant needle reached normal hot (needle just left of the light (light is off). Got back, shut off, would not restart. Then I started zeroing in on the Temp II sensor.

Got zero ohms from ground terminal at connector to engine. Check. Got correct ohms at Temp II sensor (per Bentley 24.32) and at ECU connector (per Bentley 24.20) terminals 2 & 7.

When the engine cooled just a bit (maybe 15 minutes), it started right up.

I'm still going Replace the Temp II sensor, but of any additional ideas, thank you.

Skip