Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:13:05 -0900
From:         Mark Tuovinen <aksyncronaut@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Road Trip (was Seattle area storage/assistance)

Thanks to all whom offered storage for our `87 Westy Syncro in the Seattle area in preparation for the Road Trip my family is taking starting December 15th. In the end the person whom was furthest away from the Tacoma Docks has turned out to be the best arrangement thanks to Campbell Boyz Trucking a local(Alaskan) company that will drop our van at Daryl's place for $400.00 less than the shipping companies wanted just to get it to the Tacoma Docks. We left our van with them yesterday and it should leave town by Saturday headed South to warmer weather. It felt strange packing it for though we are going camping for this portion of the trip it only has gear, clothes, tools, spare parts(it is a Vanagon after all), and other misc on board. It will feel great to arrive at Darly's on Dec 15th and fire it up to head South towards the sun and warmer weather. Our route will take us to Eugene, OR where we hope to spend the first night and visit with friends we have not seen in a few years. We will depart there on the 16th and head for Arcata, CA to pick up our daughter from college. From there we will head South with the intention of being at Van Cafe on the 19th for bumpers and maybe a new three window canvas to replace the aging original in our van. Other stops in California may include GoWesty, friends in Torrance and ???? depending upon time, desires, and opportunity. After that we will head East to visit family in Sedona for Christmas. Hopefully it will be warmer there this year than is was last January when we visited and it was colder than back home in Anchorage. Plans beyond Christmas are not set but will probably include other stops in Arizona, and making our way through parts of New Mexico to visit a friend and former employee in El Paso, TX. We will have to be in Sacramento by January 15th so our then 9yr old son can fly home to Grandmas care while we continue back to Arcata to drop our daughter off for her next semester. Once that is done we will head North to Seattle where Daryl has graciously offered to store our Westy until we either ship it home or fly down come Spring and drive it home.

Among the lessons learned in preparation for this trip is no matter how busy you are during the Fall owning and operating a Childrens Store and one catering to Teens and Young Adults take time away from work to get your van packed and ready. It was near `0F with a strong North Wind yesterday while I spent several hours packing the van. Not the most pleasant of experiences but it had to be done. Lesson number two is that the wife is willing to spend money on the van to make it nicer for trips like this thus we will finally get the new top canvas and decent bumpers. We will also finally add a second battery, not something we need much up here as Summer camping in the Land of the Midnight Sun means you do not use cabin lighting very often.

We hope to have the opportunity to meet up with fellow List Members when and where time allows so if anyone is interested just let us know and we will see if it can be scheduled. I also hope to have the chance to look at other Westy's we meet up with in hopes of finding ideas for interior lighting, storage, or other must have improvements to try on our van.

Again thanks to those of you able to offer assistance.

Mark in AK `87 Westy Syncro