Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Nov 2011 19:27:49 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Finally got new Air Cooled/Diesel Center Shifter Bushings in
              stock!
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Scott, and the cool part is that at the moment I have all of those pieces. We make the guide pin, I have the bushing for that and the boot. We also have the double ball shift levers new and the center bushing. There is only one other bushing that is at the universal joint connection that we don't have available at the moment. Hopefully we will have that at some point in the future as well. I just want to have everything so if a customer calls me and says "I have an 80 Vanagon and I want to completely rebuild the shift bushings" I can tell them, OK we have a kit for that. We are 90% there right now which is very exciting!

Sorry Vanagon nerd here.

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com Phone: 856-327-4936 Fax: 856-327-2242

On 11/17/2011 7:04 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: > I just went through this in an 82 DV .. > I would say 'vague shifting' is commonly related to the Guide Pin > Bushing .. > that post that's bolted to the trans - it's common for the bushing on > the Guide Pin to be missing.. > resulting in 'lost motion' some..and vagueness. > > the other place that wears a lot, is the white plastic balls > arrangement at the base of the shifter. > I have not observed that anyone ever lubricates that area ...which > would sure help on reducing wear. > Of course, 82 DV's are not 30 years old... > if it's original there, it's like very tired, and that can cause vague > shifting for sure. > > The bushing that's in the tab of metal that hangs down above the fuel > tank .. > when those are gone or slipped out of place.. > shifting is still ok..... > but you get an awful metal-to-metal screeching sound when moving the > shift lever fore and aft, and that's about the only symptom. > > That bushing there, above the fuel tank .. > I just made one of those a lot better without removing the fuel tank ... > but to actually get at it and replace it, the fuel tank pretty much > has to come out of the van. > > by just removing the lower holder-straps the fuel tank drops down > about 3/8ths of an inch .. > not much help. I was barely able to get one arm and hand back in there. > > Scott > www.turbovans.com > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Wilford" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:38 AM > Subject: Re: Finally got new Air Cooled/Diesel Center Shifter Bushings > in stock! > > >> It can help quite a bit. If you are worried about vague shifting I >> would check the rear bushing and guide pin first. I have those as >> well. If they look good then I would suspect this center one. Let >> me know. >> >> -- >> Thanks, >> Ken Wilford >> John 3:16 >> www.vanagain.com >> Phone: 856-327-4936 >> Fax: 856-327-2242 >> >> On 11/17/2011 10:31 AM, ralph meyermann wrote: >>> Is that to help with vague shifting? >>> >>> Velma 82diesel 1.6 na westy >>> >>> On Nov 16, 2011 5:16 PM, "Ken Wilford"<kenwilfy@comcast.net> wrote: >>> >>> Dear List, >>> >>> This has been a long time coming. I have been working to secure these >>> bushing for the last four or five years. They are finally here. I now >>> have brand new center shift rod bushings for the Vanagon Air Cooled and >>> Diesel from 80-83.5! It is almost like finding the Holy Grail. I have >>> 17 of them here at the moment so if you are interested please let me >>> know. If you look on this diagram you will see the one I am talking >>> about is number 21 on the chart: >>> http://www.vanagain.com/**images/earlyshifter.jpg<http://www.vanagain.com/images/earlyshifter.jpg> >>> >>> >>> They are selling for $24 each and the part number is 251711207 in my >>> webstore. Now I can finally say yes to people when they call me >>> searching for these :-) >>> >>> >>> -- >>> Thanks, >>> Ken Wilford >>> John 3:16 >>> www.vanagain.com >>> Phone: 856-327-4936 >>> Fax: 856-327-2242 >>> > >