Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:28:05 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GoWesty's Gear Reduction Starter

Try buying a brand new DC motor or alternator for most anything and you will be surprised what these things cost. Specialty items just make it worse. I recently needed a 160 amp alternator for my motor home (63,000 miles). Ended up getting an "AC Delco" style made in China repro rated 260 amps for under $300. Unfortunately the regulator failed after about 1,200 miles cooking my batteries and blowing a lot of light bulbs. So far the second replacement is OK.

As for starter performance the permanent magnet, gear reduction starters are becoming extremely common due to their light weight and low cost. As for rebuilds even the Bosch brand is hit or miss. On a recent automatic it took three attempts to get a correct, properly working starter. 1st was a Napa brand. Battery stud was too short. Next was Bosch SR25X. Did the slow barley crank it thing. Confirmed all circuits and battery OK. Got another Bosch SR25X and cranks wonderfully. Slow cranking starters are not normal.

Dennis