Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Nov 2011 19:12:00 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Pt. Barrow Winter Solstice
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

So true, so very true. Used to fly Skyvans out of Pit Point just east of Barrow for Husky Oil when they were doing the test wells in the National Petroleum Reserve. Been to Barrow many times.

Tough place to live as a permanent resident. I gotta hand it to the Alaska Native people who have figured out how to make a living there for thousands of years. Smart people.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 11/19/2011 6:14 PM, mcneely4@cox.net wrote: > Well, if you wanted to camp around Barrow in your Vanagon, you'd have to have it shipped up by air, preferably in summer when it is more practical for the aircraft. No roads, except one poor one out to the Point, and a road to a gas well that supplies the village. I visited Barrow, but it was at the summer solstice, and of course, my wife had to go out and photograph a clock at midnight with the sun in the shot. Went out to Point Barrow in a van (no, not a VW) equipped with tracks -- the beach is deep gravel. My understanding at the time was that one could only go to the Point with permission of the Native Corporation. Camping there in winter would be pretty tough. Fifty below might be a little hard to take, not to mention the sea ice that pushes up giant ridges on the beach with the tidal action. Then there is the wind ........ . > > I do have some respect for the folks who overwinter in such places, but I'm not doing it in a Vanagon. > > mcneely > > ---- John Rodgers<inua@CHARTER.NET> wrote: >> I should have mentioned this in the earlier post. >> >> Check your calendar - November, right? >> >> In Pt. Barrow, Alaska each year it is heard this day on the radio "The >> sun set today.November 19, and the sun will rises again around January >> 22 or January 23. >> >> This creates a polar night that lasts 65 days until the sun rises >> again near the end of January. >> >> Wouldn't that be a trip, camping in winter? >> >> John >> >> -- >> John Rodgers >> Clayartist and Moldmaker >> 88'GL VW Bus Driver >> Chelsea, AL >> Http://www.moldhaus.com > -- > David McNeely > >