Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:33:42 -0800
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      standing ovation

Having lived in this house in town for 20+ years and having four vehicles with offstreet parking for only three of them, we're accustomed to parallel parking on the street and can do it pretty smartly when the need arises.  This is a lost art, particularly among those who come in from the 'burbs for a few hours and are confronted with the challenge.  I was moving vehicles around to free up the driveway for some task requiring the acreage and the Westy had to be moved out front.  The only space on the block was in front of a neighboring building with a group of twenysomethings congregated on the porch to enjoy the lovely afternoon, and I had to tuck in between two silver hatchbacks I did not recognize so figured that is why there were watching so intently.  Worried about their cars.

No need.  I was in the zone.  Westy in reverse, I backed into the tight space nice as you please, rolling back from the crown in the street until we just kissed the car in back. Shift into 1st and cut the wheels and let it roll a few inches until it brushed that one, then back again and one final creep to center it, all done with mirrors and nary a glance over the shoulder.

As I hopped out and locked the door they stood up and applauded.  I bowed and announced, "And for my next act I will set myself on fire," and got a laugh and a cheer for that.  Bet they would not have noticed if it had been any other vehicle, and not many others would have fit as nicely.

Stephen