Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:57:03 -0800
From:         Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GoWesty's Gear Reduction Starter
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Our esteemed membership mentions:

>>>As for starter performance the permanent magnet, gear reduction starters are becoming extremely common due to their light weight and low cost.<<<

Not really low system cost, see below.

and

>>>Thank you. I've had the same issues with Bosch rebuilds. One was slow cranking. The second one has an occasionally sticking solenoid. This on an automatic with an inline-4 installed at 15 degrees.<<<

I too took the WestyVentures TDI path. Mixed results. To adapt the adapter to work on a syncro transmission with locking differential requires quite a bit of grinding and fitting. Clearly explained by Karl and understood by me. However the TDI starter itself requires some grinding of the flange to get it to fit. This makes it pretty testy to have Bosch replace the TDI starter if it fails (two did) Not an inexpensive venture and a questionable solution at best. Both TDI starters (new by the way) failed with internal shorts drawing massive amounts of current and blistering the paint on the starter body all within six months and 5000mi. Why they failed? Yet unknown. But TWO sequential starters failed this way. The second failure involved the starter failing to STOP when the start signal was removed (no problem with the ignition key switch) It continued to spin merrily along (not engaged with the ring gear as the 'bendix' failed too). Disconnecting the mains at the battery brought the show to a halt.

Thanks to a liberal application of increasingly rare frogskin lubricant ($$) and the heroic and much-appreciated work of StephansAutoHaus here in Sacramento the problem was segwayed into installing a SR401X (remanufactured?? Bosch 'classic') which worked for a few days then became increasingly difficult to engage and had the deadly slow crank problem. Made the timid owner fearful of venturing far beyond the reach of tows to Stephans. Now it must be noted here that NONE of the maladies had anything to do with the quality of service or repairs at S.A.H. It was all BOSCH equipment failures. The 401X failure was an internally malfunctioning "solenoid" right out of the box from "Peggy". BOSCH Customer service and the kewl little blue guarantee/warranty thingy in the box is PDW (pretty damn worthless). Simply an advertising ploy to snare the customer into providing free quality assurance final testing of their products (Kinda like Microslop and Service Packs). Repeated calls to BOSCH-offshore (their CS answering folks in lordy-knows-where, who all seem to named Peggy or something) was fruitless.

The good news is that SAH once again filled the breech with warranty from their supplier (WorldPac) and installed the second SR-401X "remanufactured in Peggy's basement" starter and it works dandily so far. No other changes to the van at that time. FWIW Bosch Reman is done abroad just beyond the sunset at BurningVan not in Merkel-land-of-the-Euro as you might guess.

I actually haven't had the chance to test it all that much as the venerable van has been pretty much deadlined over the summer with two attempts at repairing the transaxle by a vendor. The van is of course now resident camping at SAH while the transaxle is being repaired once again. 11Kmi on the first repair. Since April of 2008, I have put only ~12K dawdling, meandering miles on the van, not by choice but shall we say, by circumstances beyond my control. Been through four, count em four, BOSCH starters of two types (TDI and 401X) in that mileage time. Snicketted for sure. Bad Juju? Butt, who nose?

We have spoken before about our venerable road-divas-in-decline and the cost of entertaining such demanding old ladies, as hardening of the tubes and entropy robs them of their youthful beauty. Perhaps these are rich men's follies, expecting things to work out for the best. Wooden sailboats and airplanes seem cheaper.

With SAH, warranty repair is never a problem. BOSCH and other vendors not so much. Even the computer-generated BOSCH warranty on the fancy blue paper is worthless birdcage liner. So my advice is get the estimate in advance, get a written warranty dated and signed if necessary before venturing out into the wilderness or even just down the road.

And insofar as "Slow Barley" ( quote below) is concerned, I'm all for slow and perhaps protracted barley therapy to take the edge off starting the syncro and the other maintenance problems. I prefer IBU>40 for my barley therapies.

To wit:

>>> Dennis mentions As for rebuilds even the Bosch brand is hit or miss. On a recent automatic it took three attempts to get a correct, properly working starter.

Did the slow barley crank it thing. Confirmed all circuits and battery OK. Got another Bosch SR25X and cranks wonderfully. Slow cranking starters are not normal. <<<

...see above

Neither are folks like me, who are slow, cranky, persnickety starters, and prone to barley therapy along the way ...

Pensionerd (shiftless at the moment and Jonesin' for camping)